Holiday Safety Tips
With the holiday season upon us, we wanted to take a moment to discuss a few safety tips to remember. These tips come into play not only for decorating but also for cooking.
- Inspect electrical decorations before using. Before you decorate your house with lights and electric candles, do a quick inspection. Make sure nothing is damaged or loose. If any of your items are damaged, replace…don’t use!
- Avoid overloading electrical outlets. Does anyone else cringe when they watch Christmas Vacation and they show so many cords to one outlet?!? Don’t be like the Griswolds! Be aware of how many plugs you are plugging into one outlet, especially if it’s high-wattage appliances.
- Water your tree regularly. Do you have a fresh tree? Avoid letting it dry out. Dry trees are a serious fire hazard. Make it part of your routine to check the water daily.
- Protect your cords. Chances are with your holiday decorations you have a few extension cords throughout your house. Avoid forcing the cords in small spaces, under rugs, or near heat sources.
- Watch your oven. ‘Tis the season for lots of baking! Maybe it’s baking cookies or cooking that big holiday meal, whatever the case, your oven will be used a lot. Remember not to stray too far from your oven while it is on. Unattended cooking equipment is one of the leading causes of house cooking fires.
- Turn off or extinguish all decorations before bed. Don’t leave your house with your decorations lit, especially if you burn candles.
All of us at WestSide Insurance Services hope you have a fun, safe and healthy holidays! And remember, should you need any insurance assistance, whether it be personal insurance, like auto or home, or commercial insurance, we are here to help!